Tourism

Culture

Cusine

Barcelona, a Controversy.

Wednesday 5 March 2014


 What is there to say about Barcelona which hasn't been said? Well, in my case, quite a lot.



To some people "Barca" is a cosmopolitan, eclectic, cultural paradise showcasing the best of Spain's roaring tourist trade, mixing a major European City, with sunshine and beaches. The place which offers the see-it-to-believe-it Sagrada Familia and many more genius Gaudi creations along with the madness of Las Ramblas.


However, to me, Barcelona is the manic, crime ridden epitome of Spain's increasing over-reliance on the ills of the tourist trade. I am aware this flies in the face of popular opinion, to many a seasoned traveler and occasionally tourists alike it is among their favourite destinations. Don't get me wrong, Barcelona, architecturally is beautiful - Gaudi was, by any measure, a genius, and one day, I look forward to seeing his masterpiece, the Sagrada Familia, completed. Here ends my personal reasons to visit Barcelona.
La Rambla is the beating heart of Barcelona, this mile-long, tree lined, pedestrian mall is home to everything a major European city can offer, including a dazzling array of sex shops. It also boasts some of the most creative con-men outside of Paris, along with more pickpockets than any other city I've ever visited on any continent on Earth. I can't stress enough the amount of petty crime which infects Barcelona - please, if you visit, keep your wits about you, and try your best to not look like a tourist.


Barcelona is BUSY. Extremely busy. The crowds are unbelievable, it strikes me as a city who's population has exploded quicker than the infrastructure can handle, not to mention the constant tirade of tourists swelling it yet further. The dingy Metro and crowded bus service (look out for pickpockets) struggle to cope, although taxis are very reasonably in Barcelona, especially if you're used to paying inflated UK princes. Although you should be careful only to use licensed ones, which are yellow and black, not red and white like in Madrid:

Just make sure you have insurance against any losses. 

The nightlife in Barcelona is legendary, and it is enjoyable, however my female cousin who I was travelling with had her drink spiked in a well known nightclub and the police refused to give us the time of day despite me speaking to them in fluent Spanish. They assumed her state was purely through alcohol, presumably because we are English - in there defense, the stereotype is somewhat justified. So please, just be careful with your drinks.



I want to love Barcelona, I want to see the Barcelona everyone else seems to see. Am I looking at things in the wrong way? It's not that I dislike it, Gaudi was a genius, I like the Gothic Quarter and Barceloneta, but quite how people rank it as one of the world's great cities I have no idea, but I live to learn. So come on, please, tell me where I'm going wrong in the comment box below.


My reason for this could be my love affair with my old home Madrid. It's the oldest argument in Spain - Madrid vs Barcelona, Real vs Barca, Castile vs Catalonia. I know which side of the fence I'm on.

"De Madrid al cielo, y en el cielo una ventanita desde donde verlo." 

No comments

Post a Comment